E.M. Skinner Opus 220
St. James Episcopal Church has a long-established tradition for music excellence. The church's organ, an Ernest M. Skinner, Opus 220 built in 1914, is one of the finest instruments of its kind in New England, and was donated to the Parish by local philanthropist and railroad magnate, Morton Plant in memory of his wife.
The inscription on the memorial plaque, designed by Gorham Company-New York, reads “To the Praise and Glory of God and in the loving memory of Nellie Capron Plant”.
Opus 220 has 43 ranks of pipes with four divisions and pedal, and contains 2680 pipes. Major tonal changes were done by the Möller Company in 1952. The organ was reconditioned in 2002 by the Foley-Baker Organ Company. This work involved removal of the entire instrument for shop restoration including every valve, pouch, bellows and pneumatic device. All the pipes were removed, washed and regulated. The organ's original mechanical systems were replaced with state-of-the-art electronic switching that includes recall and playback of performances precisely as originally played.
St. James web site |Click here|